Statement of Requirements
This is a comprehensive statement of the minimum requirements for TRAC (with updated web links for the 2012-13 submission period).
The 'Statement of Requirements' is a replacement of QAV-METHOD.
Version 4.2 of the 'Statement of Requirements' replaces the previous version from September 2011 and should be used as the primary reference document for the 2012-13 TRAC submission period.
The publication of this document should be seen as an interim measure to consolidating TRAC guidance, prior to a more extensive revision of the Guidance.
There are a number of points to note about this version:
- Version 4.2 of the Statement of Requirements contains a number of embedded documents which provide a single up-to-date source of all TRAC minimum requirements. It formally brings in the 'additional documents that formed part of the comprehensive set of TRAC requirements' that were listed on the last page of Version 3.1.
- It does not include any of the good practice, background, worked examples, etc, that are in the original Guidance. The documents embedded within the October 2013 Statement of Requirements will be kept up-to-date (unlike the original Guidance), and will be the basis for all audit and assurance of TRAC.
- Version 4.2 (with updated web links for the 2012-13 submission period) does not contain any new requirements.
As with previous versions of the Statement of Requirements, the October 2013 version covers all areas of TRAC including: version covers all areas of TRAC including:
- the control environment
- annual TRAC
- calculation of charge-out rates for Research
- Charging costs to research projects
- TRAC EC-FP7
It also encompasses:
- Changes to the dispensation threshold from £0.5m to £3.0m (TRAC Update 7 – July 2013)
- Updates regarding the amendment to the RFI adjustment; treatment of impairment costs in the Infrastructure adjustment; clarifications over using the time allocation percentage weighted for salaries for calculating the Research FTE, TRAC return sign off and review requirements; compliance requirements for new/merged HEIs or those coming out of dispensation; and requirement for confirming non-compliance with TRAC requirements (TRAC Update 6 – September 2011).
- Updates on understanding sustainability and the RFI adjustment; the reporting of block grant research income; reporting of PGR research sponsor-type (TRAC Update 5 – April 2010).
- Changes to the TRAC requirements on academic staff time allocation including the introduction of new definitions and methods in time allocation and a requirement for robustness at research sponsor-type level (TRAC Update 4 - April 2010).
- The annual TRAC/TRAC fEC Updates issued in November 2008, December 2008, March 2009 and October 2009.
- TRAC EC-FP7 (final version dated 10 November 2008 except for Annex 1 (Form E) which is dated 22 December 2008; the March 2009 and August 2009 Updates).
- TRAC (T) Guidance (dated September 2006 and the Updates issued in September 2007, April 2008 and November 2008).
- QAV-METHOD (October 2007, which was based on the annual TRAC/TRAC fEC Guidance issued in 2005 and the Updates up to and including October 2007), with further clarification and detail where appropriate.
- A section summarising the existing requirements for institutions applying dispensation.